Contemporary architects produce some of today’s most famous building styles. Contemporary architecture is widespread across the world. It is not only common in Europe and the United States, With time, most recent architectural style and contemporary design will become a thoroughly global affair.
Contemporary design is the current and popular design of the moment. It’s what today’s designers are creating. This style is unique because it borrows elements from many other aesthetics. In most recent architectural style, you can see nods to modern, traditional, art deco, and even futuristic design. The other defining point of contemporary design is that it’s constantly evolving. Unlike other styles which are more or less set in stone, what’s “of the moment” today may change in a few years to reflect the popular styles of present-day design. It borrows qualities from modernism, minimalism, Art Deco, and other global styles, without hyper-focusing on anyone in particular. Though the contemporary design is, by nature, fairly ambiguous, there are a few qualities that help define the contemporary style. Neutral palettes, stark minimalism, clean lines, and organic silhouettes are some of the prominent characteristics. You can expect to see materials including nickel, steel, and chrome, combined with natural textures like hemp or jute. It may look slightly different in the future.
There are a lot of misconceptions when it comes to contemporary design, and confusing this aesthetic with modern style is common. After all, the two terms are often used interchangeably even though these are two distinct stylistic movements. Modern design refers to an era that has passed, while contemporary design is all about the now and the future. Contemporary decorating style is classic yet thoroughly of the moment and timeless thanks to a light-handed, spare take on decorating to ensure it will never feel dated. Even before the break of the new millennium, contemporary interior design ideas were growing. During the 1970s, at the same time as postmodernism, this contemporary design took shape. With influences like Art Deco, futurism, and deconstructivism, it was a bold step into the unknown. Just like any other style, contemporary design is a result of the current technological advancement. Most noteworthy influences include the digital revolution, the information age, and environmentalism. Globalization also has a profound impact on contemporary design. Now, more than ever, interiors are a mix of various styles from the world over. It’s the design of absolute simplicity yet absolute sophistication.
Features of the contemporary design style
• Reserved color schemes and muted tones such as beige, white, gray, and soft blues
• Furniture with clean lines or rounded edges and a strong, sound build
• Mostly solid textiles and fabrics with an emphasis on texture
• Oversized wall art that mirrors the tonal components of the room
• Polished lighting where the hardware is made from lighter metals such as brass, iron, or chrome
• Fewer but more impactful decorative accessories that result in a collected, curated look
• Minimal use of pattern, typically reserved for rugs, furniture, or an accent pillow
Elements that make a contemporary interior design
1. Craftsmanship: Attention to craftsmanship is a hallmark of contemporary design. This home design style emphasizes intentionality, which extends to an appreciation for quality materials and artisanry. Some ubiquitous elements of the style include curated furniture pieces and clear surfaces.
2. Open floor plans: Contemporary design favors open spaces, which highlight simplicity, lines, and lighting. For example, you might opt for an open dining room and kitchen instead of a formal, enclosed dining room.
3. Simplicity: The contemporary aesthetic avoids bold prints and favors timeless simplicity, clean and round lines, and attention to detail.
4. Space: This minimalist approach to home décor highlights architectural elements of the contemporary home rather than the items in it.
Because contemporary interior design is not static, interior designers are forever updating and perfecting their style. Fernando Mastrangelo, Lily Kwong, Jorgen Hovelskov, John Pawson, Zaha Hadid are some architects that shape most recent architectural style.
When it comes to styling your home, if you enjoy keeping up with current styles and a cool modern vibe, then chances are you are a Contemporary style follower. Contemporary design is inherently trendy as it’s a design style that is always evolving and quite literally means “of now’.